Report of Asia Preparatory Meeting Related to UN Mechanism and Indigenous Peoples

Kathmandu, Nepal  
February 25-26, 2008

AIPP  : Asia Indigenous People’s Pact (AIPP) Foundation  
ASEAN : Association of South East Asian Nation
AWG  : Ad-hoc Working Group  
CC : Climate Change
CDM  : Clean Development Mechanism  
CHT : Chittagong Hill Tracts
CPF : Collaborative Partnership on Forest
FAO  : Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations  
ECOSOC  : Economic, Cultural and Social Council
FCPF  : Forest Carbon Partnership Facility  
GEF : Global Environmental Facility
HRC  : Human Rights Council  
IASG  : Inter-Agency Support Group
DPI  : Department of Public Information
ICIMOD  : International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development  
ILO : International Labor Office/Organization
IP  : Indigenous Peoples
IWGIA  : International Work Groups for Indigenous Affairs
LAHURNIP  : Lawyers ‘ Association for Human Rights of Indigenous People
MRG  : Minority Rights Group  
N-CARD  : National Coalition against Racial Discrimination
NEFIN : Nepal Federation of Indigenous Nationalities
NFDIN  : National Foundation of development of Indigenous Nationalities
NGO : Non Governmental Organization
NGO-FONIN : NGO Federation of Nepalese Indigenous Nationalities
NIWF  : National Indigenous Women’s Federation
NNIW  : National Network of Indigenous Women
OHCHR  : Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights  
REDD  : Reduced Emission from Deforestation and Degradation  
SAARC  : South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation  
UN  : United Nations
UNDP  : United Nations Development Programme  
UNDRIP : United Nations Declaration on the Right of Indigenous Peoples
UNESCO  : United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization  
UNFF : United Nations Forum on Forest
UNFPA  : United Nations Population Fund  
UNHCR  : Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
UNICEF  : United Nations Children’s Fund
UNITAR  : United Nations Institute for Training and Research  
UNPF  : United Nations Permanent Forum
UNPFII  : United Nations Permanent Forum for Indigenous Issues.  
UPR  : Universal Periodic Review
WHO    : World Health Organization  
WIPO    : World Intellectual Property Organization  
WTO    : World Trade Organization 

Table of Contents  
1. Introduction 
2. Objectives 
3. Method 
4. Programme 
5. Description of the activities 
 5.1. Presentation on the UN Permanent Forum 
 5.2: Presentation on the UNFF (United Nation Forum on Forest) 
 5.3. The impact of climate change, mitigation and adaptation to Indigenous    People 
 5.4. Indigenous Peoples and Climate Change 
 5.5. The importance of Bio-cultural Diversity in the Hindukush    Himalayan Region 
 5.6. Climate change, bio-cultural diversity and livelihoods:    the stewardship role of indigenous people and new challenges 
 5.7 7th session of the UN Permanent Forum on indigenous issues 
 5.8 Group work Presentation 
  Group 1. Universal Periodic Review (UPR) 
  Group 2. Climate Change  
  Group 3. Women, Children, Youth and 2nd Decade 
  Group 4: Human Rights 
  Group 5: Language  

     UNPFII Overview
     Presentation on the UNFF 
     The impact of climate change, mitigation and adaptation to indigenous people 
     Indigenous Peoples and Climate Change 
     The importance of Bio-cultural Diversity in the Hindukush Himalayan Region 
     Climate change, bio-cultural diversity and livelihoods: the stewardship role of indigenous people and new challenges 
     7th session of the UN Permanent Forum on indigenous issues 
     Group 1.Universal Periodic Review (UPR) 
     Group 2.Climate Change
     Participant List

1. Introduction
The preparatory meeting of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues at Asia level was held in Katmandu, Nepal from February 25-26, 2008, with the support of Asia Indigenous People’s Pact (AIPP) Foundation,  the meeting was locally hosted  by six different organizations working specifically on indigenous issues: Nepal Federation of Indigenous Nationalities (NEFIN), National Indigenous Women’s Federation (NIWF), Lawyers Association for Human Rights of Nepalese Indigenous Peoples (LAHURNIP), N-CARD (National Coalition against Racial Discrimination), National Network of Indigenous women (NNIW) and NGO Federation of Nepalese Indigenous Nationalities (NGO-FONIN). The meeting was held with the aim to prepare for the forthcoming session of the Forum by discussion key issues and concerns of the indigenous peoples of the region as well as to come up with common statements and plans for site events and other activities. In total, 106 participants from different countries of Asia (Nepal, India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan/China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Japan & Malaysia) participated in the preparatory meeting.
The 2008 preparatory meeting was coordinated by the organizing committee composed of Joan Carling, Dr. Suikhar and Rukka Sombolinggi and attended by the Vice Chairperson of the National Foundation for Development of Indigenous Nationalities (NFDIN) and member of the PFII from Asia – Victoria Tauli-Corpuz. The committee developed the programme, materials and coordinated the participation of indigenous representatives, who were identified by the national country focal point respecting inclusiveness and consensus. 
2. Objectives
The major objective of the meeting was to discuss key issues and concerns of the indigenous peoples and to prepare for the forthcoming session of the PFII as well as to come up with common statements and plans for site events and other activities for the UNPF session in New York. The specific objectives were as follows: 
1.     To provide updates and discuss strategies and co-operation of the participants on the developments relating to the Human Rights Council (HRC), particularly on the UN mechanisms related to indigenous peoples, the Universal Periodic Review (UPR), the new IP expert body under HRC, the UN SP on the fundamental Rights and Freedoms of Indigenous Peoples and the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
2.     To discuss the 7th session of the UNPFII and draw up common statements and plan side events and other activities for the INPF session in New York.
3.     To strengthen cooperation and networking among indigenous peoples of Asia by educating on mechanisms relating to the UN in general and build stronger solidarity with indigenous peoples of Nepal in particular.

3. Method
Entire session was carried out in a highly participatory manner. Basically, sharing, discussions, question, clarification, group works and presentation were employed as major techniques in the meeting. To ensure participation of all levels, the participants were split into
different buzz groups and carried out group works, which were presented and discussed in the plenary sessions.    
4. Program
February 24th: 
Presentations of General updates on the Human Rights Council relating to indigenous peoples
 .     overview on the HRC and the Universal Periodic Review by Dr. Suikhar
 .     updates on the Special Rapporteur on the fundamental rights and freedoms of IPs and the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
 .     Special body of the HRC for the indigenous people by Joan Carling
 .     Discussion of the strategies and activities on how to engage and optimize mechanism under the HRC

February 25th:
 .     Presentation on the UN Permanent Forum: An Overview by Joan Carling.
 .     General presentation on the agenda and theme of the 7th UNFP 
 .     Presentation on the UNFF and other related  updates- International Alliance/AMAN
 .     Presentation of the output of the seminar on IP and climate change, Ms. Christina Nilssen, IWGIA and participant to the Conference.
 .     Presentation and discussion on State of Knowledge of Biodiversity in Hindukush Himalayan Region, Mr. J. Das Gupta, ICIMOD.
 .     Presentation and discussion on the SPCEICAL THEME: "Climate Change, bio-cultural diversity and livelihoods: the stewardship role of Indigenous Peoples and new challenges. 
 .     Discussion on the key issues and recommendations on climate change. 

February 26th:
 .     Orientation on the workshops.
 .     Workshops for planning:
 .     Universal Periodic Review: Philippines, Indonesia, India and Special Theme: Climate Change, bio-cultural diversity and livelihoods.
 .     Human Rights, Second International Decade and future work indigenous language and indigenous children and youth indigenous women.
 .     Plenary session: reporting of workshop outputs.
 .     Synthesis of other regional and international events for 2008 and other matters
 .     Presentations on the Asia IP Celebration on the UNDRIP for IP Day
 .     Presentation on the Asia IP Conference on the UNDRIP by Joan Carling
 .     Presentation on the Asia IP Summit during the G-8 in Japan

5. Description of the activities
Though the meeting was scheduled for 25th and 26th, the meeting was started on 24th February at 5 PM as an informal session. Before the start of the meeting, a consultation meeting between AIPP and Nepalese IP organizations was held. After the consultation meeting, Prep meeting was started with short introduction of the program. The meeting was started with a presentation of General updates on the Human Rights Council relating to indigenous peoples, followed by the following presentations: 

 overview on the HRC and the Universal Periodic Review by Dr. Suikhar
 updates on the Special Rapporteur on the fundamental rights and freedoms of IPs and the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
 Special body of the HRC for the indigenous people by Joan Carling
 Discussion of the strategies and activities on how to engage and optimize mechanism under the HRC
February 25th:
On 25th of February the Asia Preparatory Meeting began at 11:00 am with an opening ceremony. The meeting was inaugurated by Mr. Jit Pal Kirant, Vice Chairperson, Nepal Foundation for Development of Indigenous Nationalities (NFDIN) as well as chief guest of the program. Dr. Sumitra Manandar Gurung, Coordinator of Asia Preparatory Meeting chaired the program. Lucky Sherpa, chairperson of NNIW welcomed all the participants through her welcome speech. Different guest speakers had given short speeches relating to the prep meeting at the opening function. The opening session was completed at 12:00 noon. 
5.1. Presentation on the UN Permanent Forum: by Joan Carling
After the inaugural session, there was a presentation by Ms. Joan Carling on "UN Permanent Forum". The main content of the presentation was based on the history of UNPFII, its mandate, composition, theme, procedures/mechanisms related to the Permanent Forum (PF). Ms. Carling briefed on the history of the UNPF stating that; "During the International Year of the Indigenous Peoples in 1992, there was a strong demand from the IPs attending the UN activities to have their own indigenous mechanism. After a long movement, UNPF was set up in 2002." She further clarified on the difference between UN and UNPFII stating that the UN is composed of govts whereas PF is a unique body made by the civil society, not of government. PF consists of sixteen members, eight from government and eight from indigenous expert. PF is a high level body of UN which is already under the council. She also informed about the 6 mandate areas of PF that include economic and social development, education, environment, culture, health and human rights (see annex I for detail information). 
After the presentation, the floor was opened for queries and discussions; queries were responded by Ms. Carling. Some suggestions and recommendations that came from the floor. 
Q. Mr. Kittisak Rattanakrajangsri (Thailand): 
There are many people who can give significant inputs, but are not able to join this meeting.  Inter alia they don’t know how to share it with us. What steps can be taken in order to accommodate such voices? 
Joan Carling:
Participation in the prep-meeting is still very limited because we’ve very limited resources. It’s a challenge to make it inclusive.
Yassokanti Bhattachan (Nepal):
All of us know that Indigenous Peoples’ human rights are violated in Nepal. Constituent Assembly election is going to be held on April 10, 2008, but many people are not sure whether it’ll take place or not, which is a big question in the present political scenario. Issues of climate change are much related to the Nepali context and it is good to know that UNPF has brought this issue forward. 
It would be very good if AIPP and UNPFII raise the issue of Nepal in recent context that’ll be helpful for the IPs of Nepal. 
Dr. Suikhar (Myanmar):
Recommendation: Election should be free and fair. What sort of mechanism you must need in order to be a free and fair election? Who’ll take that accountability? We would like to hear from Nepali participants, then after, we can bring that recommendation to UN. Not only particularly to PF, but PF can also make recommendations through ECOSOC. While talking about monitoring mechanism, we’ve to have clear, explicit expression from Nepali IPs.
Hom Yamphu (Nepal): 
Major theme for this 7th session of PFII is climate change. Beside this, can we raise other issues as well? We’re in the process of constitution making. And we want to make this constitution very inclusive. 
Joan Carling: 
Yes, you can raise this issue in human rights. Beside these thematic issues, you can also raise such issues in economic and social development. 
Tunga Bhadra Rai (Nepal): 
NGOs which participate in UNPF should be under ECOSOC status? Can they make recommendations or just have to listen?
Joan Carling:
No, anyone can attend. It does not matter whether your organization has ECOSOC status or not. Yes, they can make recommendations as well.
Dr. Suikhar B: 
If you like to submit due comment in advance as a working paper, you need ECOSOC consultant status. Otherwise session is open for all IP organizations for the participation.
5.2: 2nd Presentation
The second presentation on the UNFF (United Nation Forum on Forest) by Mr. Kittisak Rattanakrajangsri gave brief introduction on UNFF and highlighted its objectives. He emphasized it as a major issue (see annex II for detail). After the presentation, participants raised many queries based on the presentation and the presenter clarified the queries. 
Dr. Suikhar:
"You can see in CBD (convention on biological diversity) on the protected area. They also have working group for this protected area particularly focused on forest and other resources. So, how about their link or coordination cooperation between the protected areas, working mechanism and this UNFF?
Majority of the govt. say that no forest issues should be maintained as it is. Forest should be standing a long issue. That’s why UNFF is important. UNFF also have support body called CPF (Collaborative Partnership on Forest) comprising of International Conservation NGO like IUCN, WWF etc.
Dr. Sumitra Manandhar Gurung (Nepal):
In the case of Nepal, most of the indigenous peoples live in forest like; Chepang, Raute. Are there any binding rules? When donors try to give some money they also look into what is the
role of IPs in maintenance of forest and how they should be brought into picture?  The community forest is considered to be the most successful project of the country. Now there are about 13,853 forest users groups. But many of the user groups do not include IPs in the committee yet even donor, govt. provide money. In the mean time IPs are displaced. So in such a condition, how it would be helpful?
Well, actually as you know financial is not an aspect so there is a big debate in the forum because they say without the support from the developed countries they cannot implement activities that are the obstacle identified by many countries. Basically, they need more money for implementation. Some countries have policies on IPs but SAARC countries don’t have. Talking about the official development aid actually some countries have their own guidelines about IPs issues.
5.3. 3rd Presentation
The presentation on the topic "The impact of climate change, mitigation and adaptation to indigenous people" was done by Mina Susana Setra from Indonesia. She talked about the importance of conservation of forest as it is the key for water cycle and carbon of the world. She clarified that increasing of heat in the atmosphere will cause the drought stating -“actually increasing global warming causes drought, which will make tropical forest as source of emission. If they think forest will help solving the problem of climate that is wrong, actually the forest will produce more emission.” 
She informed about the global response on this climate change issues stating- “Government and inter-alia government’s organizations, including the World Bank’s response to this situation with some proposals on ‘Reduced Emission from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD)’ and the World Bank has come out with new scheme’, Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF)’ adding that “Other proposal is to use bio-fuels to solve energy, this will be done by expanding plantation i.e.: Oil Palm, sugarcane, soya, jatropa". She suggested that as the resource of energy behind the ground is getting less and less it’s a high time to find solution on how to provide new alternative to energy (see annex III for details).
After the presentation, discussion was held on several issues related to impact of climate change. 
Discussion and comments:
Dr. Suikhar (Myanmar): 
"When bio-fuels like oil palm are going to grow, of course they destroy their existing forest. So, is there any alternative way not to destroy the forest but whether they can grow in already deforestation land or area and the thing is that it will be more impact in our land like how about our land right, right about FPIC?
Basanta Danuwaar (Nepal):
North Countries emit more carbon, for emitting carbon they pay money to the south countries. north countries earn more money than south countries and becoming richer and richer but south countries are becoming poorer and poorer. Is it balance to environment? How can we control these types of encroachment? How can we preserve the natural forest? How can we adopt these types of directions or policies?  Why not UN press the government to stop that type of encroachment as such types of policy has not come from UN.
Mina Susana Setra: 
Well, we have that problem in Indonesia when govt. started giving title to our land whether UN can do something to it but Indonesian government said who the hell are they, we are independent country.  
Dr. Suikhar (Myanmar):
"UN try to set up international standard including this  rights of Indigenous People  in which they also mention  particularly in  UN declaration,  you can see from article 26 to 32, that is about IPs right of land, resources territory management control ownership but of course the UN agencies  also have mechanism or procedure when they work in the country, then they have a guideline  on IP particularly on this social development issues and  very recently, they have developed principle called  human right based approach to development that was in 2003 and very recently, one month ago, they have a guideline on that, UN agencies that work on development of IP. So we have to study what are in that principle and guidelines. If we don’t raise these issues with the government, then the government will not rescue us, so we have to raise these issues with government."  
5.4: 4th Presentation
The 4th presentation was on "Indigenous Peoples and Climate Change" by Christina Nilson. As her presentation was based on the IWGIA conference, she informed in detail about the activities during that conference mentioning the effects of climate change in different continents. In addition, she also informed on what sort of strategies are adapted in order to control climate change. Likewise, she also gave clear idea on the sort of recommendations made by the conference (see annex IV for details). 
She concluded her presentation informing the participants that Denmark will hold the World Conference on Climate Change in 2009.
Meanwhile, Kamal Samapng from Nepal made a presentation on climate change and its effects in Himalayan Region. He claimed that the Himalayan region is a store house for medicine, bio-diversity of million of people but due to climate change such beautiful and important species are disappearing. He feared whether the region can completely turned into desert as melting of snow is increasing day to day. 
Participants made queries regarding both presentations.
Discussion and comments:
Fathik Thapa (Nepal): 
Is climate change only factor for changing crops and migration etc. what are other factors that affect the climate change?
Kamal Sampang:
Climate change is not the only factor. It cannot be seen from isolation from other issues. Several other issues are related to it.   
Yam Bahadur Kulung (Nepal):
Protection of forest is must. We must do it What about the protection of wet land? Does it have any importance to Climate Change., environment and ecology, because we cannot grow tree in desert and existence of one is not possible without the existence of the other. Wet land plays important role in maintaining temperature. But we’re not discussing about this issue.
5.5. 5th Presentation:
Mr. J. Das Gupta from ICIMOD presented on the topic "The importance of Bio-cultural Diversity in the Hindukush Himalayan Region".  He talked about the three pillars of CBD and mentioned that there are about 400 languages of IPs are spoken in the region that is spread from eastern Afghanistan to Yunnan province of China, and insisted that the language of the particular area should be protected. He further pointed out that the issues related to critical bio-cultural diversity in the region and future issue as well (see annex V for detail). 
After the presentation, participants raised several queries regarding the ICIMOD activities in Nepal and other related issues. 
You told that notion of IP is not clear or well defined. Then how could you say these groups have been affected? And in the context of Nepal, govt. has recognized only 59 IPs group.
J. Das Gupta: 
Indigenousness- most of them have political definition. But it is exception in the case of Nepal. It is much more different from India, Bhutan and Pakistan. But there are still some of the groups having distinct identity, have not been recognized. 
Sanjeeb Drong (Bangladesh): Bangladesh is facing natural disaster like cyclone. River like Ganga is connected with Padma for so many reasons. Even there are some rivers coming from North-East India and going through Bangladesh into Bay of Bengal. So, we can address this kind of trans-boundary issue of climate change for our own benefit of this region. There are SAARC People and SAARC Youth Forum. We’re trying to raise this issue in SAARC People Forum and also to SAARC Youth Forum in Bangladesh. This kind of forum might be helpful for solving this kind of trans-boundary issue. Nepal and India are connected or engaged in this kind of SAARC people forum, not the govt. forum. 
Guru Karmarung (Nepal):
There are 800 types of herbal medicine found in Karnali region of Nepal. During yarsagumba collection season, the region becomes very crowded and much polluted. They kill wild animals by firing. The medicinal herbs which are found in the IPs region in Karnali have been destroyed. Govt. has allowed to sell such herbs openly. There is one local medicinal herb called silajit which is used as a healing medicine for any kind of aching. Earlier it used to be widely found everywhere in that region and the people would sell it for one rupee per kg. We’re unaware of its importance. But today it costs around 2,500$ per kg in international market. If the govt. would’ve fixed the price, our living standard would’ve definitely risen up. But we didn’t get anything by selling it. So, I would like to know what the ICIMOD has been doing in this regard.
Joy Das Gupta:
This is very serious problems not only in Nepal but throughout the Himalayas. ICIMOD is working in a medicinal plant and has many other programmes and many partners are in Nepal, Bangladesh and North East India on high value medicinal plant. And our new strategic plan which has started this year, task is on high value medicinal plant. Unfortunately, not only the role of ICIMOD, but the role of all govt. has been very minimal. It is probably the question of unregulated harvesting rather than anything else. The fact that govt, has failed to regulate and, also involve people in regulation. We hope that in coming years, we’ve much
better market. Bhutan, in that way, is much better. Bhutan is much more regulated and well organized market even in the context of
Yasokanti Bhattachan:
After the convention, Nepal govt. has focused on the preservation of National Park and preservation and promotion of wild life. How ICIMOD has influenced to make a change in policy level of Asia? Is there any successful cases you have experienced?
Kamal Sampang:
"When we are talking about bio-diversity, it is cultural relationship of all IPs. Nepal is a very rich country in biodiversity we’re saying in bio-diversity because we’re the indigenous people. From the ancient times, they’re linked with bio-diversity and natural resources. We’re member of different convention.  So, we’ve the right to conserve, right to development for our livelihoods. And I know ICIMOD is very big organization working in the Himalayan area So, when you talk about the bio-diversity, climate change, natural resources, all belong to the indigenous peoples, indigenous community. The convention has some articles that favor indigenous peoples like; prior-informed consent. But our govt. has not emphasized the contribution of bio-cultural heritage of indigenous people. Your entire document says indigenous knowledge is very good for conservation. My question is, do you have any mandate to work with indigenous peoples? And what is its future plan?"
5.6. 6th presentation
Presentation and discussions on the special theme: "Climate change, bio-cultural diversity and livelihoods: the stewardship role of indigenous people and new challenges.
Uma Tavalan Taiwan/China:
She displayed various pictures about the life style of the indigenous peoples of Taiwan/China. She also explained on how climate change is taking place in Taiwan/China. She further explained about the cause and effects of climate change (see annex VI for details). 
Discussions and Comments:
Jason Pan Taiwan/China:
China, Japan, Korea are using much chemical. They’re using multi national genetic crops to make more production. So, the problem is making a balance. And many people want organic farming or more sustainable practices, we call it environmentally friendly.  Organic farming costs a lot, get high price in market. 
The national strategy agricultural council decide amount of rice, millet, banana. So, the govt. is taking stronger role. It is very difficult to balance food production more environmentally friendly using less chemical. 

 5.7. 7th presentation
7th session of the UN Permanent Forum on indigenous issues: By Victoria Tauli-Corpez
The chairperson of UNPFII Ms. Victoria Tauli-Corpez briefed on process of session meeting.  Before the session of PF starts, the member of PF gets to gather so that they’ll get to know each other. New members have to be oriented on what is PF and its responsibility. She informed that this year’s meeting was held in Madrid, Spain from February 15-17 like previous year, this time also she was elected once again for chairing the meeting. 
She further added that they are planning to organize the session of forum in different ways. To conduct the meeting in different ways they planned to review the implementations of recommendation in the first year and discuss about new policy for next year, as there have already been 100 recommendations. Stating "that every year, we don’t talk about recommendation but we talk about assessment, assessing how the recommendations are being implemented and then it’s only after another year you again look into recommendation. Another thing, that came out from our session is that we have something like called “standing”, because same recommendations are coming every year. You just have the list of standing recommendations, then people wouldn’t have to repeat those recommendations every year. It’s just looking into how these are being implemented, so let’s see this method of work that might be proposed for this year session which will be held from April 21 to May 2." 
Every year there used to be a special theme. The reason why the climate change is chosen as a special theme for this year is we really wanted to know how climate change is really affecting our cultural as well as bio-diversity and traditional livelihood and our role of steward, because we consider ourselves as steward of cultural and bio-diversity. Our traditional livelihood is very much linked with our work which is very close with land. When the climate changes happen, the land, water gets directly affected. So, we really like to see how we are being affected.
There is virtually nothing about indigenous people in the report of inter governmental panel on climate change. So, in order to fill that gap and make sure our issues become more visible and also address the climate change process. Climate change is not only human right issue but an equity issue too. This issue heavily affects and further marginalized poor people in the poor countries. The rich countries and rich people are able to stand some of the disasters, but poor people are the ones who have the highest vulnerability to the impact of climate change. So, for instance, poor people especially Indigenous Peoples never have big contribution to carbon dioxide emission.  
The Bali negotiation was very difficult. US finally has to agree to the agreement, ((see annex VII for detail).
There are many technologies being adopted but some of them are really questionable. Of course, renewable energy resources, like hydropower is classified as renewable source of energy but there will be big problem for us because most of the hydropower will be in our communities. The World Bank has presented a report during Bali site event and they showed how the investment in hydropower went up under the name of clean development mechanism. 
After she concluded her presentation, many questions, queries were raised from the floor. 
Discussion and comments: 
Athili (North-East India): 
Do most of the people stay till the end in PF meeting?
Yes, most the people stay until the end, because it’s good to stay until the end,are  because they really get to see all the happenings. Every day there are special side events, more than
hundred of side event where different issues being discussed during lunch break, so they really learn a lot.  If any body wants to learn more about indigenous people, they want to learn in depth issues that are discussed, but cannot really discuss extensively during the session, usually you listen to them, during the side events that’s why it’s important to be there until the end.  Over the weekend there is going to be held training, orientation.
Ram Bahadur Thapa (Nepal):
Identification of indigenous people is culture, language, and land. In this background, we’re from different countries and different language background in this meeting. We are sharing and discussing on various important issues here. We’re conducting this prgramme in English language, which is the killer language of all indigenous language. I think, it would be better to discuss in our own language by arranging translator. We need to be conscious on this and it is the right of Indigenous Peoples. 
We in fact talk to our children in English, because we would like them to be able to go to school which uses English and it certainly is an issue. That precisely why in recommendation of the expert workshop, it was recommended that at least indigenous language is really be used in the first years of school. In fact, in Latin America, they use bi-lingual education and really use their own language in school. Because if you do not have to use your language, you’re going to see slowly the deterioration of your language. Of course, language is evolving. The new people may not know many of the words I know because you change language. 
2nd Day:
The first session of the 2nd day was facilitated by Ms. Joan Carling. The session began with group division. It was divided into five different groups where each group had to discuss on specific theme and come up with issue and recommendation. The given topics were as follows. 
Workshop Group:
1. UPR (Philippines, India, Indonesia and Japan)
2. Climate change
3. Women, children, youth and 2nd decade
4. Human Rights
5. Language 
She gave clear information on the task to be done by each group. She added that each group should see the past recommendations and identify which are the important recommendations for implementation.  One hour was given to complete the task. 
5.8. Workshop Group Presentation
Group 1. Universal Periodic Review (UPR):
The first presentation was made by UPR group which consisted of participants from Philippines, India, Indonesia and Japan. Mina, from Indonesia, was the presenter. While presenting, she emphasized that the first thing to be done by govt. was to conduct national consultation. Govt. as well as NGOs can submit the report within the deadline of November 20 (see annex VIII for more details). 
After presentation the floor was opened for discussion. 
Joan Carling:
If the govt. report will include indigenous peoples because they might say that the review is based on declaration, charter, universal declaration and treaties they’ve signed. So, those will be the scope of the review. We need to insist that they should also review the situation of IPs in the context of declaration so that will be our lobby point for UPR. Otherwise we will be completely marginalized. 
Indigenous peoples from Nepal can come together to send those kind of report because it would really help you in raising the issue in higher level with better visibility and putting more pressure on those UN body  running around Nepal to help you. 
Shankar Limbu: LAHURNIP is conducting a training relating to these international instruments especially focused to indigenous lawyers. We have many lawyers here but they don’t focus on Indigenous issues, so it is like capacity building for them. How we can use these lawyers as our resource or power, so they can work on indigenous issues/right that is one thing we are doing. Besides that we are preparing shadow report to submit, so what the issues you have raised, we can incorporate that, and LAHURNIP will conduct consultation with different indigenous groups, if they have specific problem related to this.
Group 2. Climate Change
In group 2, there were participants from Nepal, North East India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan/China, Cambodia and Philippines. Tunga Bhadra Rai from Nepal presented the outcomes of the group work. His presentation included three main points which are upcoming issues related to climate change, gaps in policy in each country and recommendation to UNPF (see annex IX for details).
Discussion and comment:
Vicky’s suggestion: 
Traditional livelihood is not anymore practiced. You should recommend that there should be full support for the efforts of Indigenous people to build their long energy system, which are appropriate for their own communities. There is no more oil in the world today. The challenge for everybody is how to develop energy system which will not be using oil, coal or nuclear power. Indigenous Peoples should develop their own small scale energy system, therefore we should call on the UN to really support those efforts. These are just a suggestion for recommendation.
We have many important sites in the country. Our government is giving to built hydropower dam without our (indigenous peoples) participation. In government act and policy also they ignore our contribution. 
Q. Chini Maya Majhi (Nepal): 
IPs are living nearby the protected (forest conservation) areas and their right is not protected. Sometimes wild animals destroy their crops and also kill people, but if IPs kill the animal they are being punished so how this issues can be taken to Permanent Forum.
Group 3: Women, Children, Youth and 2nd decade
This group was composed of Pallab (Bangladesh), Ellen(Philippines), Lucky Sherpa (Nepal), Yasso Kanti Bhattachan (Nepal), Athili   (India),    Krishna (Nepal). The presentation on this topic was made by participant from North-East India, Mr. Athili 
General Recommendation for Women and Youth from the Group 3
 .     support to capacity building initiatives and activities towards full and effective participation of women and youth especially in engaging governments to comply with their obligations under  international human rights law;
 .     this means intensive education and information activities on the UNDRIP and other international human rights law and how to use these towards better  implementation/practical translation in the national level policies and programmes
 .     institutionalizing the participation of women and youth within the PF and other UN processes and  mechanisms;
 .     develop/establish strong mechanisms/tools inclusive of youth and women  in defining programmes towards the implementation of recommendations to PF as part of the 2nd decade strategy  especially at the national level;

 .     disaggregated data in terms of gender and ethnicity in national census, project monitoring, impact-assessment and other processes;
 .     ensure effective participation and representation for indigenous women in all levels  of decision making especially in state structures, plans and programmes;
 .     special consideration of women’s perspectives in FPIC and development processes;
 .     support to the 3rd Asian Indigenous Women’s Conference to be held in Nepal this 2008; 

 .     ensure effective participation of youth in local and international level thru the provision of venues,  support and assistance for indigenous youth programmes/ activities;
 .     inclusion of IY and ensuring their participation in IP related UN processes; particularly, strengthen the Asia youth caucus’  participation especially in the UNPF process; UN/Funding agencies  support for cultural exchange and skills sharing; 
 .     Capacity building strengthening youth organizations and networks within the region to be able to engage in state processes/structures and mechanisms

Migration and Displacement – 
 .     appropriate development policies defined by indigenous peoples with special attention to the perspectives of women and youth,  that provides for access to employment of indigenous youth and women within their own communities;
 .     developing national education policies/programmes appropriate  for indigenous youth and sensitive to their development needs;

On Issues: 
Militarization/Development Aggression

 CHT – withdraw military based on peace accord provisions;
 study on impact of militarization especially on its impact on women and youth;
 recognize and build on indigenous peoples peace building practices, ensuring participation of women and youth instead of relying on state mechanisms and ;
 come up with studies towards a general recommendation to the CEDAW re : militarization/development aggression as VAW; (elaborating the concept of VAW with regards to experiences of indigenous women vis-a-vis individual human and collective rights)
 call on different UN Special Rapporteurs to visit Asian countries  and asses indigenous peoples situations;
 IP and gender sensitive strategies in implementing the MDG goals
Human Security
 .     redefine human security which means food/health/economic/social and cultural security not guns and soldiers in the guise of anti-terrorism; these means security of our security of our lands and territories and our access to our own resources;
 .     Strengthen women and youth in claiming their rights to human security (especially appropriate basic social services -education, health, etc.)
 .     promote and protect indigenous practices/good practice and innovations  with respect to sustainable  use and development of resources;
 .     full recognition and implementation of treaties/peace accords done between governments and indigenous peoples i.e CHT Peace Accord; 22 agreements between IP leaders and Government of Nepal; and policies on IPs i.e IPRA in the Philippines

Group 4: Human Rights
Facilitator: Sui Khar
Documentation: Makiko
Reporter: Hom Yamph
Nepalese participants Home Yamphu presented from this group. While presenting, he stated that during group discussions they exchanged their experiences and events that violated IP rights in their respective countries. He further added that each country has been facing different sort of such violations 
Relation with the International HR mechanism, the group members started to talk on human rights situation. They addressed the implementation  process of the UNDRIP, Universal periodic Review (UPR), Expert Mechanism of the Human Rights Council, UN Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples and fundamental freedoms. 
The group members also shared the human rights situation in the country, as well as the situation of indigenous people’s leaders, IPs rights activists, human rights defender etc. The participant of Bangladesh addressed the non-implementation of the CHT Peace Accord and population transfer to the CHT, life threatened of the indigenous peoples, human rights defender face extra judicial killings etc. Some participants raised their concerns regarding the Draconian laws, anti-terrorist laws which are mostly applied in IP areas and peoples as well. 
The Cambodian participants highlighted the following human rights issues; 

1) concession on IP land and forests for mining 

2) no implementation or mention of DRIP

3) land title law  2001 – slow process

4) Land grabbing and slowly losing land. Losing court cases

5) militarization because of concessions

6) threats on HR defenders

7) no FPIC on concessions

8) Communal land – government land. Long process before gaining official recognition for land title

9) Chinese companies and Australian companies involved in concessions

Along with the group members discussed on IPs situation in Myanmar, Nepal, Japan, Taiwan/China, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Philippines as well. 
On regards the IPs recognition, the group identified that most of the countries did not recognized indigenous peoples and some other countries have some criteria for recognition as for example in Nepal. Most of the countries in Asia such as Bangladesh, Cambodia, Japan, and Myanmar still are far from recognition indigenous peoples into the state level. 
On regards the human rights violations concern the sexual harassment in Okinawa, Japan, has come up and along with discussed the non-militarization of IP land and impact of militarization on women and children. 
Most of the governments in Asia did not implement the international treaties, ignoring recommendations from treaty bodies and some countries still have in restriction to ratify the human rights laws and treaties as well. Some members of the group suggested for the “Special mechanism to Monitor IPs Rights” on the recommendations of the treaty bodies. 
The group has been presented the following recommendations to the UNPFII its seventh session: 
1. Implementation of the UNDRIP
We strongly support the report by Mr. Wilton LittleChild and Ms. Ida Nicolaisen (E/C.19/2008/2) particularly on Para 37 (a) and (b) Para 39 of the creation of a FORUM Committee on UNDRIP. This is in conformity with the Article 42 of the UNDRIP. We request the Forum to extend extra 3 days in its 8th session for elaboration of mechanism of the implementation on UNDRIP and keeps implementation of the UNDRIP as one of permanent agendas in the future session of the Forum.  
We request the Forum to organize workshop on mechanism of implementation of UNDRIP and invite at least 10 indigenous experts from each region. The Forum shall open further elaboration on the outcome of the workshop in its agenda item for one day at the 8th session of the forum. 
We urge the Permanent Forum to recommend the translation of UNDRIP text as a part of the measures for implementation. In this process, we urge the governments to translate it into national/official languages, whereas Indigenous Peoples are to translate it into their own languages. The caucus requests that the Forum recommends the UN agencies to make resource available for Indigenous Peoples organizations for the purpose of translation in consistent with the Article 41 of the UNDRIP.
In addition, other measures such as awareness raising among Indigenous Peoples and civil societies and series of campaign is necessary. This should be done through/towards different actors such as the governments, Indigenous Peoples, Civil societies and media. Particularly, we would like to call the attention for the importance of raising awareness among the media. These measures should be fundamental steps towards the mainstreaming of the UNDRIP by all international and state institutions.
We would like to encourage governments to take necessary action as the Bolivian government has done. At the same time, we also urge that the government would take necessary steps for the screening and amendment of existing laws to be in conformity with the UNDRIP
2. Recommendation to Human Rights Council (HRC)
a) Expert Mechanism Body on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMBRIP)
We request the Forum to recommend that the HRC respects the recommendations made by Indigenous Peoples in selection of the experts, and ensure that experts are of indigenous origins.
b) Universal Periodic Review (UPR)
Regarding Universal Periodic Review, we strongly urge that the governments include the Indigenous Peoples in the national consultation process for drafting of the national report. We request the Forum recommends that the HRC adds the UNDRIP as normative basis for UPR. We request that Office of the High Commissioner for the Human Rights(OHCHR), United Nations Institution for Training And Research (UNITAR) and other relevant organizations to sustain training for and with indigenous peoples in order to equip UPR mechanism. We endorse in advance, the statement from Cordillera Peoples Alliance in this regard. 
3. Recommendation on United Nations Development Group Guidelines on Indigenous Peoples’ Issues
We urge the UN country team to establish the inclusive and transparent consultative mechanism with Indigenous Peoples for enforcing the principle of human rights based approach to development and UN Development Group Guidelines on Indigenous Peoples’ Issues.
4. Recommendation on the adoption of ILO Convention 169 and implementation
We urge the governments in Asia to ratify ILO convention 169 and other conventions and treaties relevant to Indigenous Peoples. We also encourage the governments who already ratified ILO convention 169 and other international conventions which is relevant to Indigenous Peoples to implement them, and to seriously consider recommendations made by treaty bodies as well.
5. Recommendation to ASEAN human rights body
We request the Forum recommends that ASEAN shall fully integrate UNDRIP in the works of an ASEAN human rights body which is to be established in the near future. 
6. Appointment of country human rights officer by OHCHR
We urge OHCHR to appoint country human rights officer where serious human rights violations consistently occur.
7. Climate Change Adaptation Fund for Indigenous Peoples
We urge the UN organs, Agencies, Programmes and Funds to establish "Climate Change Adaptation Fund" to directly support indigenous peoples who have been and are likely to be negatively affected. 
8. Recommendation to the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders
We request the Forum recommends that the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders conducts a specific study on situation of Indigenous Human Rights Defenders and submit the report to the 8th session of the UNPFII.
9. Recommendation to the Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms of the Indigenous Peoples
We request Prof Jim Anaya, the Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms of the Indigenous Peoples, to investigate into serious human rights violations against Indigenous Peoples in Asia. 
10. Recommendation to UNDP-RIPP
We request UNDP-RIPP to organize training on Human Rights-Based Approach to Development and Indigenous Peoples in national level. 
Discussion and comment:
Dr. Suikhar: 
UN agencies also have responsibilities for implementing of this declaration. So, UN agencies should develop collective strategy for the implementation of this declaration.
Soma Rai (Nepal): 
There is a displacement of ethnic communities from their own place to another place due to government’s plans. They are compelled to live in other society without their resources and traditional practices.
Sanjeeb Drong (Bangladesh): 
Even the human rights defenders we face harassment, there is lack of access to justice when the human right defender is killed then the government try to make story, like it is because of heart attack, can PF address this or can it be raised in PF.
Shankhar Limbu (Nepal):
We have to focus equally to all UN HR Mechanism also national human right commission that has never recognized IPs issues within their working activities. so we have to make one recommendation that the PF should especially focus on this kind of national human rights commission to include or recognize IPs issues.
It’s a break through that we are finally get the ASEAN to at least to work towards the establishment of regional human rights body which we have long been asking for. In the whole world it’s only the Asia that doesn’t have regional human right commission. Now the ASEAN has decided to form such a body and we welcome it .like IPs right is fully integral and integrated into ASEAN human rights body 
Appointment of national human right adviser in the countries where there is several human right violations like for example Bangladesh  which is under military rule  and to ensure that  human rights of IPs  will  be addressed by the human rights adviser at the country level.


Group 5: Language
Language group consisted of seven participants from North East India, Nepal, Japan, Taiwan/China and the presentation was made by Anjali. She stressed that language is very important for IPs, without which we cannot communicate and have no identity. The presentation highlighted the importance of IPs languages and identification of the issues related to the languages.  She claimed that the government has not recognized IPs language and there is an imposition by the government to use power language/killer language which is killing the indigenous languages and script. While giving example she stated (mentioned) that one of the IP
community called Tripuri of Tripura state of North-East India has been restricted to use Roman script by the government but instead imposing to use Bengali script. The group members identified some key issues and recommended as following: 
 .     No recognition of IP’s languages by the govt.
 .     Imposition by the governments for using power language/ killer language on indigenous languages and scripts.
 .     Discouraging to use IP languages in communication and media.
 .     Imposition through mainstreaming languages and religion.
 .     No implementation in school and media, local government even though recognized as nation language.

Recommendations To the Government/INGOs/UN agencies; 
 .     Freedom to decide by Indigenous Linguistics groups themselves.
 .     Need practical support by international agencies in community level too.
 .     IP representation should be ensure in decision making body regarding languages.
 .     Endangered IP Languages should be given more privilege in their own initiation.
 .     Need constitutional, legal and practical recognition to each and every Indigenous languages (resources/fund/curriculum/ official use).
 .     No imposition on Indigenous languages and scripts.
 .     Revitalizing sleeping language.
 .     Respect and implement UN Declaration of Indigenous Peoples Rights Article 13(1) and 14(1) related to content and teaching methodology. 

UN Declaration of Indigenous Peoples Rights
 .     Article 13(1) ‘Indigenous peoples have the right to revitalize, use, develop and transmit for future generations their histories, languages, oral traditions, philosophies, writing systems and literatures, and to designate and retain their own names for communities, places and persons’.
 .     Article 14(1) ‘Indigenous peoples have the right to establish and control their educational systems and institutions providing education in their own languages, in a manner appropriate to their cultural methods of teaching and learning’

Recommendations To the Community
 .     Respect own mother tongue and use in daily life.
 .     Documentation of language and folklore. 
 .     Language promotion should be done in the initiation of the linguistic communities by ourselves.

Discussions and comments: 
Participants asked questions related to language and the answer was given by Vicky.
Recommendation to be included in PF is that ethnocide and cultural genocide should be declared as crime against humanity because language of IPs is their source of identity. The moment you kill the language of people, they are also killing their identity. In the past, while doing national census usually they include their mother tongue, this is one way to getting the country to
(be) re-identify
 particular country and how many are they, but in some countries
government remove that, we are calling on the governments to put that mother tongue as one of the variables for doing census, so that we’ll be able to have better idea of languages.
Right after the discussion, Ms. Joan Carling facilitated the workshop and there was discussion on who’ll be participating in the UNPFII. Following are the names of participants attending the UNPFII:
Climate Change: Kittisak, Fatik Mark will lead.
Language: Mr. Amrit Yonjan Tamang, Anjali and Yuuki Hasegawa.
Human Rights: Ms. Soma Rai, Hom Yamphu, Makiko Kimura
Women, children, youth and 2nd decade: Athili, Allen
Shankar made a proposition for identification of person’s name as a focal point through discussion as each country’s participants were attending prep-meeting. 
But Dr. Suikhar said though it’s a good proposition, it’s not an appropriate forum as in the case of Myanmar, there is only one participant attending this meeting. 
The name of the person who’ll coordinate to lead was also chosen………..  
Nepal- Shankar
Indonesia – Mina
Malaysia – Mark
Vietnam – Viet
Japan – Mark
Taiwan/China – Jason
Bangladesh – Sanjeeb
Philippines – Elen 
Bhawani Prasad Lohorung (Nepal): 
Through AIPP can we organize PF meeting in Asia? 
Mailing list in UNPF is disturbing, People can’t share information anymore. Every time people start to share information people attack them. It’s a complain from Indonesia. 
This list will only be used to share information and if you have some complaint or problems with other organizations, you can send directly to the person concern. At least make it clear that if somebody violates the rule, then they’re taken out of the list. 
Ms. Joan Carling proposed that whether Nepal govt. can sponsor for the indigenous film festival? She informed about organizing the film festival. She added that we’ll make statement to the media that all these activities are coordinated by Asian indigenous people to show that cooperation and unity in promoting IPs culture. It’ll take place in July and for that they’ll provide the concept paper on how to do it. This will be coordinated by AIPP secretariat. AIPP secretariat will be in touch with each country. The goal of the event will be to celebrate August 9, as we celebrate it, it is to highlight the indigenous issues. 
Another conference will be taking place in June, Philippines. 
Last presentation was done by Yuuki Hasegawa from Japan. Her presentation was concentrated on the G8 summit which will be taking place in Toyako, Hokkaido of Japan from July 7-9, 2008.
After that Ms. Joan Carling gave information on how indigenous peoples can get services and assistance for translation, documentation etc. They’ve fund to hold documentation training for Asia for this year. It’s a one week intensive documentation training on human rights issue. 10-12 people can be accommodated in that training. For this training, North-East India, Bangladesh and Indonesia were chosen. 
To encourage each country to implement the declaration is very crucial. As far as I’m concerned, truly it’s a declaration which should really be the centre piece of a lot of activities. This is something we worked hard on. We’re taking about more than 20 years to come in. Many of the earlier people who talked about it, have already died. 
At the end of the meeting Mr. Parshuram Tamang, ex-member of UNPFII gave closing remarks. In his remarks he highlighted issues on indigenous movement in Asia, its gain through PF and the direction of IPs movement in Nepal. He stated that IPs of Nepal trying to transform the social and cultural consciousness into political consciousness to gain the concrete outputs of their historical movements. "The abolition of Hindu monarchy and establishment of federal democratic republic based on national autonomous region with right to self-determination is important in order to address the indigenous issues" he added. With this a two day prep-meeting came to an end. ########
Side events:
On 26th of February, Cultural show with traditional feast of Newar Community (one of the IPs of Nepal) was held at Patan Museum, Lalitpur. The program was started from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. Traditional cultural show and musical instruments were played in the program. Singing and dancing in local folk songs were also held on the occasion. 
Another side event was organized on 27th of February at Staff College, Jaulakhel. The objective of the event was to disseminate and dialogue with the government on the implementation of ILO 169 and DRIP. A total of 357 participants including government representatives, IPs and the representative indigenous leaders from Asia (prep meeting participants) were present in the event. #####
THE U.N. Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues UNPFII
Joan Carling
Brief History
 .     International Year of the World’s Indigenous Peoples (1992) Indigenous representatives met to plan for a program for the International Decade (1994-2004).
 .     One objective set: establishment of a permanent forum for indigenous peoples
 .     World Conference on Human Rights- Vienna June 1993, recommended that a permanent forum for indigenous people within the United Nations system should be considered, [A/CONF.157/24, (Part I), chap. III, sect. II.B, para. 32.] 

Resolution on UNPFII: 2000/22
 .     Resolution 2000/22 of 28 July 2000, the Economic and Social Council decided to establish the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues.
 .     . “Decides to establish as a subsidiary organ of the Council a permanent forum on indigenous issues, consisting of sixteen members, eight members to be nominated by Governments and elected by the Council, and eight members to be appointed by the President of the Council following formal consultation with the Bureau..”

Permanent Forum: first session- 2002
 .     The Permanent Forum is a new and unique organ within the United Nations system : includes  indigenous experts in equal status as government representatives
 .      High-level body, established at the level of the ECOSOC which is  same level in the UN system as the Human Rights Council  

Permanent Forum

 Mandated areas which it will cover, include:
     1.Economic and Social Development
     6.Human Rights 

 .     an ADVISORY BODY on indigenous peoples issues and concerns  to the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)

 .     Has a dedicated secretariat which is based in New York under the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA): 6 members


 Members of the Forum: 16
     8 government experts nominated by governments and elected by ECOSOC
     8 indigenous experts chosen by indigenous organizations through their own selection process and appointed by ECOSOC President.

 Indigenous experts chosen by IP regions through a process of selection/nomination to the ECOSOC

 1. Asia
 2. Pacific
 3. South America and the Caribbean
 4. North America
 5. Africa 
    6. Eastern Europe, Russian Federation
 7. Arctic
 8. Rotating seat: South America, Asia, Africa
 .     provide expert advice and recommendations on indigenous issues to the Council, as well as to programmes, funds and agencies of the United Nations, through the ECOSOC
 .     raise awareness and promote the integration and coordination of activities related to indigenous issues within the UN system
 .     Prepare and disseminate information on indigenous issues. 

Mandate of the Forum is of an operational nature. 
General Assembly resolution 2002
 .     General Assembly in December 2002 – passed a resolution (A/57/19) which established the UN Voluntary Fund for the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues to fund the implementation of recommendations made by the Forum through the Council.
 .     To establish a secretariat unit this shall be funded from regular U.N. budget.

Methods of work of the PFII
 .     Holds annual session for 10 days in New York, Geneva, or other places decided by Forum. Special themes adopted for sessions.(2003- children and youth, 2004- indigenous women, 2005- MDGs; 2006-Poverty Alleviation;2007 territories and resources;  2008- Climate change )
 .     Organizes international expert meetings on issues identified during Forum. (Disaggregated data, FPIC, Development)
 .     Portfolio system for Members to engage with various UN agencies: designation of the mandated areas to the members of the PF ie environment, education, health, etc
 .     Coordinates closely with the Inter-Agency Support Group (IASG), Friends of the Forum

Inter-Agency Support Group

 Inter-Agency Support Group (IASG) for the Permanent Forum:  coordinating mechanism between UN Agencies, Bodies, Programmes and Funds composed of:
 Department of Public Information (DPI), 
 Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), 
 International Labour Office (ILO), 
 United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), 
 United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), 
 United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), 
 United Nations Children’s Fund, (UNICEF), 
 Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 
 World Health Organization (WHO), 
 World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), 
 Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity,
  United Nations Development Programme (UNDP),
  Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), 
 World Trade Organization (WTO) and 
 the World Bank. 
 Inter-American Development Bank
 European Union
Friends of the Forum and Indigenous Caucus
 .     Informal coordinating mechanism between governments and the members of the Permanent Forum.
 .     Meeting with the Friends of the Forum on a regular basis during the Sessions of the PF
 .     Meeting with the Indigenous Caucus
 .     Side-events during Sessions.
 .     Formal adoption of recommendations.
 .     Reports

Draft decisions and recommendations of the First session: 2002
 .     Establishment of secretariat
 .     Improve coordination between the UN bodies, specialized agencies and indigenous peoples.
 .     Improve participation of IPs in planning and implementation of programs and projects affecting them.
 .     Strengthen system for evaluating projects.
 .     Invites UN specialized agencies and programmes to present reports on their activities in relation to IPs.

Results of 2nd Session: theme – Indigenous Women
 .     Hold a expert technical workshop on Free, Prior and Informed Consent
 .     The Forum recognizes the unique contributions made by indigenous women within their families, communities and nations and at the international level. At the same time, the Forum expresses concern about the multiple forms of discrimination experienced by indigenous women, based on gender and race/ethnicity, and the complex problems stemming from this discrimination. 

2004 Session
The Forum underlines the importance of technical cooperation and capacity building programmes regarding and involving indigenous women, and in that respect recommends that programmes including projects regarding and involving indigenous women should be developed by the U.N. system.
IP Participation to the UNPF sessions
 .     More than 800 IP leaders participate in the annual session of the UNPF through
–  making interventions/statements in the mandated areas/ theme/agenda
–   Participation to special half day session: Africa,  

   – organizing side events on various issues, receptions
   – holding international and regional caucus for common statements and recommendations
   – Bilateral meetings with UN agencies, IP support groups, others
   – Networking and solidarity building with other IP orgs

   – Name, organization and agenda item
   – Salutation/greetings as introduction
   –  Brief situation/update to highlight your issues/concern on the particular agenda item
   –  CONCRETE RECOMMENDATIONS to the UNPF, UN agencies, governments
 *** Length: 1- ½ page for 3-minute presentation- statements for submission can be longer than the version to be read
 .     Guidelines  in making a statements and  presentation
1.  Collective statements are given priority so better to add your issues and recommendation in collective statements ie Asia caucus. You can request your issue/concern and recommendations to be included in the collective statement
2.  Statements should be brief and should   include CONCRETE RECOMMENDATIONS. All statements presented will be officially recorded by the UNPF secretariat and becomes part of the UN documents and open to public access
3.  The representative of concerned government normally responds or give their comments to presentations made by IPs. Make sure the information in your statement are accurate and that you can “defend” it. Use diplomatic language as much as possible to avoid unnecessary “confrontation”
4.  When reading, read slowly and clearly. Put marks like comma, salutation to the Chairperson at the start of every paragraph, etc on the copy you are reading as your guide
5.   Make sure that your statement will be read fully in the allocated time so that you will not be warned/ stopped by the Chairperson
6.  Make extra copies of your statement to distribute to other participants, documenters, etc

1.  Register with the secretariat on what agenda you want to make a statement ie education, health, human rights etc as soon as the secretariat opens for the speakers list   – name, organization and the agenda item
2.  Wait for the speakers list and check out your name when you will be called
3.  Photo copy your statement and give it to the interpreters and the secretariat (15 copies)
4. Be seated near a microphone and wait for your name to be called
5.  When your name is called, raised your hand, put ON the microphone in front of you and read your statement
6.  Please note of the time allotment for making statement– 3-5 minutes and make sure that your statement will be read fully in the time allotted
 .     UN- Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Populations: Contact the following and get application forms: Indigenous Peoples’ and MinoritiesUnit
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
CH-1211 Geneva 10 – Switzerland, Tel. (41 22) 917- 9164/917- 9145 
Fax: (41 22) 917-90 17

****** Deadline: October 1

 .     Human rights fund for Indigenous Peoples.

  c/o IWGIA
  Email: Lola Alix Garcia:
  Tel; 45-35-270500
  Fax: 45-3527 0507
 .     Minority Rights Group ( MRG)

          Contact person: Shelina Thawer
United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF)
Introduction and updates
By Kittisak  Rattanakrajangsri
UNFF#1 (2000-2005)
– Formally created in 2000 as a subsidiary body of the United Nations Economic and Social Council
– A new international arrangement on forests to carry on the work building on IPF and IFF processes
 .     the Intergovernmental Panel on Forests (IPF) 1995-1997 
 .     the Intergovernmental Forum on Forests (IFF) 1998-2000

– Main objective: to promote the management, conservation and sustainable development of all types of forests
– Functioning:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.