Call For Application: Programme Coordinator – Organizational Strengthening and Movement Building
Position : Programme Coordinator – Organizational Strengthening and Movement Building (OSMB)
Level : Level 4
Duration of the Contract : 1 year with possibility of renewal of the contract based on satisfactory performance and also subject to availability of funds
Probation period : 3 months
Reports to : Deputy Secretary General (DSG)
Station : AIPP Regional Secretariat, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Application call announcement date : 16 August, 2022
Application deadline : 5 September, 2022
AIPP is a regional organization of Indigenous Peoples (IPs) in Asia founded in 1992 by Indigenous Peoples’ movements envisioning the fully exercising and securing their rights, distinct cultures, and identities in order to live in an environment of peace, dignity, justice and equality. AIPP also strives for strengthening the solidarity, cooperation, and capacities of Indigenous Peoples in Asia to promote and protect their rights and recognitions, and their sustainable resource management systems through long-term management of their lands, territories, and resources and for their own future and self-determination and autonomy
At present, AIPP has 46 members from 14 countries in Asia with 12 Indigenous Peoples’ national alliances/networks (national formations), 34 local and sub-national organizations. AIPP with its members, partners and allies join forces with people who share same belief, to empower Indigenous Peoples and their communities for themselves through broadest solidarity and cooperation to amplify Indigenous movements and other social movements towards achieving equality, peace, democracy and justice. These movements also focus on promotion and protection of the integrity of the environment and enhance the sustainable resource management systems of Indigenous Peoples. AIPP’s works are grounded and at the boarder level (national to international levels) with the decision-makers, governments, UN agencies and corporations, and speak out on the big issues.
The General Assembly (GA) is the main decision-making body/mechanism, which is held every four years. The GA adopts the strategic 4-year program, approves policies, guidelines and resolutions and elects a 12-member Executive Council (EC), including Indigenous youth and women representatives, the Chairperson and the Secretary General. The Secretary General is directly accountable to the EC and the members and leads the Secretariat, based in Chiang Mai, Thailand for effective implementation of programme activities. The Programme Committees, EC, member organizations and partner organizations are actively involved in programme implementation. AIPP has 6 thematic programmes namely, Communication Programme, Environment Programme, Human Rights Campaign Policy Advocacy (HRCPA) Programme, Indigenous Women (IW) Programme, Organizational Strengthening and Movement Building (OSMB) Programme, and Regional Capacity Building (RCB) Programme.
The Programme Coordinator (PC) shall provide support to the overall implementation of the OSMB Programme’s Work Plan guided by AIPP Strategic Planning (2021-2024) and fulfilment of AIPP’s Strategic Goals on;
I. Increase AIPP’s Impacts
II. Expand AIPP’s outreach
III. Enhance Rights holders’ and stakeholders’ effective engagements
IV. Strengthen AIPP’s ability to adapt
2. Purposes of the Job:
The main purpose of this position is to:
- Ensure effective implementation and management organizational strengthening and movement building (OSMB) Programme in coordination with the management team and other programmes
- Ensure successful management of SIDA core funding project including donor’s compliance and timely reporting
3. Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
A) Program Implementation and Management
- Manage and implement the OSMB programme aligning with the approved AIPP Strategic Plan 2021-2024
- Provide regular updates and progress of OSMB programme as well as overall Core-funding project activities to the DSG and Fundraising and M&E Expert as required.
- Prepare the monthly and annual work plan and budget of OSMB programme under the guidance of DSG and Secretary General (SG)
- Review and finalize the programme/project activities by consolidating the outcomes of regional meetings, country level review and assessment processes and prepare analytical summary of the outcomes and processes
- Work closely with DSG and SG to prepare OSMB programme semi-annual and annual reports as well as consolidate other programmes’ reports for the preparation of the Core-funding projects’ periodical report to the donors.
- Develop the clear filing system of OSMB programme documents, projects, reports, and related materials and programme’s database for effective M&E
- Ensure the effective M&E of all OSMB activities and Core-funding project implementation by concerned programmes as well as provide information as required for AIPP’s organizational M&E
- Provide necessary support to Management Team in the conduct of mid-term and annual assessment and planning meetings and other meetings like Executive Council meetings and Board meetings and AIPP’s General Assembly meeting
- Work closely with DSG and Fundraising and M & E expert in fundraising and in formulating proposals related to OSMB and Core-funding in consultation with the Management Team and concerned Programmes as appropriate.
- Work with finance and DSG to conduct due diligence assessment, financial monitoring and capacity assessment of new project partners under OSMB programme in coordination with relevant programmes
- Prepare programme budget and ensure the consistency of budget preparations in term of budget line submitted to the donor as well as regular monitoring of programme and Core-funding budget
- Review and authorize the disbursement and other procurement requests of project/programme implementation and ensure the completion and accuracy of the supporting documents
- Monitoring the fund utilization and review the financial report of OSMB programme and ensure the compliance to all donors in close consultation with Finance team and Management team
- Prepare and ensure effective and timely implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation of the OSMB plan
- Organize regular OSMB meeting and timely update and submit the report to the donors as needed
- Ensure the effective Inter-Programmes Collaboration to accomplish the planned activities in OSMB Programme and other programmes under the Core-funding.
- Provide regular and justified updates through timely and effective communication with all Donors supporting the OSMB programme
- Organize inception workshop and regular monitoring meetings with all concerned programmes and project partners under OSMB programme and Core-funding projects
B) SIDA Core-Funding Project Implementation and Management
- Take lead on implementation of SIDA funded core/project activities in consultation with Secretary General and Deputy Secretary General
- Review and comment on the financial reports received from the partners and responsible finance staff
- Coordinate and participate the country consultation processes and provide necessary feedbacks on the reports submitted by the focal organizations
- Monitor the implementation of Core-funding activities by the concerned Programmes and Management team and provide necessary information and support on contract management and to ensure donors’ compliances
- Plan the strengthening of Members and partners’ organizations in close coordination with Management team and follow up disaster support for members and partners under Core-Funding support.
- Maintain regular communication and timely responses to SIDA and concerned staff and consultants regarding grant management, project M&E, annual review, System Audit, and etc.
- Support finance on the review of SIDA Core funding Audit Report and Management responses in consultation with Management team
- Work with finance to prepare quarterly budget monitoring and organize SIDA Core funding quarterly monitoring meeting with all concerned programmes and partners
C) Other Tasks
- Ensure the clarity and accuracy of verbal and written communications regarding assigned tasks and responsibilities
- Participate in monthly staff meetings, Unit Head meetings, and programme meetings and the meetings with Management team as required
- Coordinate with the Programme Committee for the support and updates on programme implementation where appropriate
- Provide support on the development of organizational and other related knowledge products on IP issues
- Coordinate with Executive Council (EC), member organizations (MOs), partners and donors on the activities related to the OSMB programme
- Support the management in the staff recruitment, screening and selection process of OSMB programme resource person.
- Abide by organizational values and principles and maintain the transparency, accountability and confidentiality as required
- Work Closely with DSG and management team on organizational strengthening and movement building as required
- Build the capacities of the MOs and partners and members as appropriate on the organizational matters
- Participate as a member of AIPP’s Gender Action team and support on the implementation and monitoring of AIPP’s Gender Justice Policy and the promotion of gender mainstreaming in AIPP
- Support on the development of organizational policies and guidelines and be able to train members and partners on related AIPP policies and guidelines
4. Knowledge and Qualification:
- At least bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Development studies, Sociology, Social/Political Sciences, Rural development, Project Management. A Master’s Degree in related studies will be an added advantage.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Indigenous Peoples rights, issues and concerns especially of Indigenous Peoples and Indigenous women in Asia.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working as project/programme manager or coordinator taking lead in strategic implementation, fundraising, project cycle management, advocacy, and staff management.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience on Organizational Strengthening, People’s Movement and empowerment, Gender, Human Rights Based Approach, project management based on the logical framework, finance management, Project Monitoring and Evaluation (PME)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with national and international Indigenous Peoples’ organisations, government agencies, civil society organisations etc.
6. Skills and Abilities:
- Good command in English (both writing and speaking)
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and effective communication skills combined with problem solving skills.
- Skills in planning and implementing activities: identifying and systematizing tasks, coordination, arranging logistics and technical support, etc.
- Excellent organization skills
- Analytical and data management skills
- Skills in preparing substantive reports.
- Computer literate including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint (other relevant software)
- Self-motivated, dynamic, creative and energetic.
- Positive attitude to working in a multi-ethnic/social environment.
- Willing to travel throughout Asia and beyond, when needed.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively or effectively as part of a team
- Proven ability to multi-task, set priorities, take initiative and to work under pressure with demanding deadlines
7. Remuneration and benefits include:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 13th month pay
- Housing and personal communication allowance.
- Health Insurance including annual executive medical check-up
- Travel fare for annual home visit for foreign staff
- 17 days annual Paid holidays
- Provident Fund
- Related cost for work permit and visa
Salary rate shall be based on qualifications and on prevailing rates of regional NGOs based in Thailand
Only interested Indigenous Persons from Asia can submit application (indicating ethnicity) together with updated CV with at least two references with complete contact details (Email address and, phone number) by 5th September, 2022 to the following email addresses: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interview. Preferance will be given to AIPP members and only indigenous applicants.For more information on AIPP, please visit our websites: https://aippnet.org/