Position: Executive Secretary
Section: Management Team
Duration of the Contract: 1 year with minimum 3 months to maximum 6 months’ probation period. The contract will be renewed annually subject to performance and availability of funds
Reports to: Deputy Secretary General (DSG)
Duty Station: AIPP Regional Secretariat, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Application deadline is on: 8th June 2019
Interview: Only shortlisted candidates will be informed for interview.
The AIPP is a regional organization founded in 1988 as a platform for solidarity and cooperation among indigenous peoples in Asia. It actively promotes and defends indigenous peoples’ rights and human rights, sustainable development and management of resources, as well as environment protection. For detail visit www.aippnet.org
Roles and Responsibilities:
A. Human Resource Management
- Ensure the management and implementation of the Human Resource Manual (HRM) and plan of AIPP in coordination with the Admin-Finance Coordinator and other members of the management team as needed. Suggest areas of improvement and adjustment if necessary.
- Identify needs of individual staff and the Secretariat, and prepare annual staff development plan and oversee its implementation
- Support in monitoring performance of the staff as well as conduct consultations with individual staff in accordance with the staff development plan, and provide recommendations and or updates on matters relating to HRM to the Management on a quarterly basis
- Maintain up-to-date appraisal records including preparation of TOR in consultation with Programme Coordinators, Admin and Finance Managers, Secretary General (SG) and DSG as needed.
- Prepare contracts for new staff and yearly renewal
- Guide the Admin Manager in ensuring that the HRM system is up-to-date, including personnel records, leaves, visas and work permits, and staff welfare, etc.
- Coordinate with the Admin-Finance Coordinator in ensuring that the AIPP operations are supported by efficient and effective administrative and finance systems and procedures
- Help in process of screening, selection and recruitment of staff, including orientation, integration of staff, interns and volunteers in the Secretariat in collaboration with the RCB and relevant programmes/staff as appropriate.
- Review the monthly payroll prepared by finance team and ensure that the benefits are in line with the employment contract, leave records, inflation adjustment and any other decision made by the management in relation to probation period, appraisals etc. Suggest for review and adjustment if necessary.
- Convene all the regular meetings of AIPP (such as the inter-programme meetings, staff meetings, unit head meetings, planning & assessment meetings) under the guidance of DSG. Be specifically responsible for collecting agenda points for DSG and finalizing them under DSG’s supervision, setting the meeting timeline in close consultation with management team, and sending the meeting call to everyone concerned. Also, prepare thorough meeting notes and minutes of the meetings under the supervision of DSG and prepare follow ups points with timelines where necessary.
- Maintain meeting notes of the Management, one-on-one consultation with staff and or on programs and meetings with visitors regarding AIPP programs, activities, management concerns and matters requiring follow ups, etc.
- Prepare regular briefs to the SG in consultation with the DSG on pertinent issues, challenges and matters requiring follow-ups related to human resource status, secretariat matters, administrative matters and make recommendations (accordingly) where needed.
- Develop a sound archive plan for AIPP and be responsible for organizing and filing of document, including management notes and minutes, and human resource related documents.
- Support in the implementation of monthly and annual work plans in coordination with the management team
- Work with the DSG in the conduct of staff meeting, inter-programme meetings, Programme Coordinators (PCs) and Unit Heads meetings, including follow-ups and implementation.
- Carry out administrative tasks for SG and DSG such as preparing disbursement voucher and small contracts for activities; making logistical arrangement under Core Programme activities including regular payments to EC and Board members and checking the time sheets for all staff etc.
- Collect data from various units and support DSG to consolidate into the annual report of AIPP
C. Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assist the DSG in the conduct of meeting with programme teams on Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) progress, challenges and way forward, including backstopping in the preparation of monitoring and learning review visits by staff
- Assist the DSG in the preparation and verification of ToRs and in the conduct of reviews and evaluations of AIPP and its program/projects by external consultants in close collaboration with the Management team
- Assist the DSG in looking at travel mission reports by consolidating actions points in the reports and preparing a schedule to follow up.
- Consolidate action points from country missions given by SG and DSG.
D. Any other tasks assigned by the DSG and SG.
Skills and qualifications
- At least bachelor’s degree or equivalent in human resource management and trainings and skills on secretariat functions. A degree in social sciences or other streams with relevant experience in qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis in human rights and development sectors will be an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in qualitative and quantitative data management techniques including proficient and skillful use of statistical software.
- Excellent report writing skills (in English) and knowledge of donor reporting procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity and to carry team members with him/her.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a rapidly changing professional environment with the ability to remain calm and in good humor.
- Diplomacy and good interpersonal skills and trained in human resource management.
Salary rate shall be based on the salary criteria approved by the Executive Council of AIPP
Interested indigenous persons from Asia (applicants from member-organizations will be given a priority) can submit application (indicating ethnicity) together with updated CV with at least two references with complete contact details (including email address and, phone number) and two reference letters following email addresses to Chanda Thapa at firstname.lastname@example.org and Pramila Shrestha at email@example.com