Extended – Call For Application: Deputy Secretary General
Position: Deputy Secretary General
Team Duration of the Contract: 1 year with minimum 3 months’ probation period. The contract will be renewed annually subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds
Reports to: Secretary General (SG)
Station: AIPP Regional Secretariat, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Announcement: 18 September, 2020
Deadline: 14 October, 2020
The Asia Indigenous Peoples Pact (AIPP) is a regional organization founded in 1992 by Indigenous Peoples’ movements in Asia. AIPP is committed to the cause of promoting and defending indigenous peoples’ rights and human rights and articulating issues of relevance to indigenous peoples. At present, AIPP has 47 members from 14 countries in Asia with 18 indigenous peoples’ national alliances/networks (national formations), 30 local and sub-national organizations. Of this number, 16 are ethnic based organizations, six (6) indigenous women and four (4) are indigenous youth organizations and one (1) organization of indigenous persons with disabilities.
A. Roles and Responsibilities:
Institutional Strengthening & Movement Building
Members and networks level
- Work closely with the Secretary General (SG) and coordinate with AIPP members and networks in the country consolidation processes
- Coordinate and develop programmes and interventions in relation to the common and emerging issues at the country and local level under the guidance of the SG
- Prepare summary reports of the country-level assessment on a regular basis and share it with the Secretariat
- Ensure integration of relevant country level assessment outcomes to the work of AIPP programmes and projects in coordination with the Executive Secretary (ES) and in consultation with the SG where needed
- Provide necessary support and coordinate the conduct of key organizational meetings (Executive Council meetings, Foundation/Advisory Board meetings, sub-regional meetings of members and networks, and AIPP General Assembly among others)
- Participate in networking at country, regional and global level
- Lead in the organizational strengthening of members and partners in coordination with the ES and or Admin-Finance Coordinator as appropriate
- Update or provide reports to the Executive Council (EC) on organizational matters, including EC minutes, six monthly updates from the Secretariat, country-level assessment reports, sub-regional meeting reports, new projects, staffing schedule, new engagement, etc.
- Responsible for the coordination and management of the organizational strengthening and disaster support for members through the AIPP Fund
- Ensure the proper recording and filing of organisational documents
- Perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the SG
- Lead the secretariat in the absence of the SG
- Lead the Organizational Strengthening and Movement Building Programme (OSMB)
- Provide general supervision of all programmes through shared responsibility among the management team
- Ensure the implementation of the strategic plan under the guidance of the SG
- Manage and consolidate Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) information system of AIPP with the support of the ES
- Responsible for the conduct of regional data quality audits and analysis with support from the ES
- Coordinate with programme staff and the management team in the conduct of mid-term and annual assessment and annual meetings
- Support the ES in the implementation of the Human resource management system
- Lead in the development and updating of a standardised management guidelines inter alia, organisational management, finance, administration and programme management with the support of the management team
- Support in checking the quality of proposals and ensuring that the needs and priorities of members and partners are reflected, including other requirements, in the proposal as a shared responsibility with the management team
- Liaison with printing press and provide updates to the secretariat and Executive Council (EC) including matters requiring attention of the management
- Ensure the implementation of monthly and annual work plans in coordination with the ES
- Support the SG in fund raising and in formulating and completing proposals in consultation with the management team members as appropriate.
- Manage AIPP core fund and AIPP fund with the guidance of SG and in collaboration with the Admin-Finance Coordinator and Executive Secretary.
- Ensure the implementation of finance and administrative policy in consultation with the management team
B. Knowledge and Qualification:
- At least bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Development studies, Sociology, Rural development, International Development/Relations etc . A Master’s Degree in related studies will be preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Indigenous Peoples’ rights, issues and concerns especially of Indigenous Peoples in Asia.
- At least 5 year’s work experience in management including being responsible for strategic management, fund raising, advocacy and staff management and working on country or regional Indigenous Peoples’ organization/network
- At least 3 year’s work experience and proficiency in project implementation & management; report writing and documentation
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with national and international Indigenous Peoples’ organisations, government agencies, civil society organisations etc.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience on project management based on the logical framework, finance management, Project Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) and fundraising
D. Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills in written and verbal English
- Skilled in planning and implementing activities: identifying and systematizing tasks, coordination, arranging logistics and technical support, etc
- Skilled in preparing substantive reports
- Computer literate including the use of Microsoft excel
- Self-motivated, dynamic, creative and energetic
- Positive attitude to working in a multi-ethnic/social environment
- Flexible to do multi-tasking and to work under pressure
- Willing to travel throughout Asia and beyond, when needed
E. Remuneration and benefits include:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 13th month pay
- Housing and personal communication allowance.
- Health Insurance including annual executive medical check-up
- Travel fare for annual home visit for foreign staff
- 22 days annual Paid holidays
- Provident Fund
- Related cost for work permit and visa
Salary rate shall be based on qualifications and on prevailing rates of regional NGOs based in Thailand
Interested Indigenous Persons from AIPP’s Member Countries in Asia can submit application (indicating ethnicity) together with updated CV, two reference letters with complete contact details (including email address and, phone number) and submit by 14 October, 2020 to the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Priority will be given to applicants from AIPP members organizations.
For more information on AIPP, please visit our websites: https://aippnet.org/